New York Hot Dog

Okay, let me preface this entry with apologies to my NY posse - I was in NY for ONE DAY only, literally 24 hours, for my Grandmother's 94th Birthday. And because I knew it was going to be an extremely short trip, with the focus being spending time with my Grandmother, I didn't even tell anyone that I was there, because I would feel so bad if I couldn't see people. Because that's the kinda gal I am. Plus, I know that visits to Las Vegas are in the works. So rather than set myself up for disappointment, I decided to keep my visit mum. The added factor was that I brought Brooklyn with me to meet my family, specifically my Grandmother, who was particularly excited about the prospect of a furry creature (besides myself) in her humble abode. Which meant that traveling around was somewhat limited, and I had to keep my eye on her ever-moving jaws to make sure she didn't destroy my Grandmother's house, so I had to keep her with me at all times.

So, that being said, let me say that Brooklyn did very well in traveling. Her first plane ride ever! No fuss; she did get a little antsy during the landing in NY, and on the return trip, she didn't like the take-off. I don't believe she slept really, I think she just sat in her bag, while I dozed off here and there, too worked up to really sleep. On the way to NY, her bag was too big to fit under the seat, as is required, and the crew was nice enough to allow me to keep her with me but advised me to fix the problem in NY so that I could fly back worry-free. Imagine if I couldn't bring her back with me?!?! So, once in NY, I had to take the subway to meet my Dad, who happened to have a spare dog bag that was just a bit smaller and worked perfectly on the return flight, no problems. Brooklyn was great on the subway, she handled it like a pro. And she LOVED the smaller bag, even falling asleep in it in my Dad's dressing room. So there you go.

It was great to have that little dose of NY, even though it was really too short. And having been completely away from NY now for three months, I could really feel how much I miss the city and how I need to plan a longer visit than 24 hours. However, it is also amazing how quickly one falls right back into the NY rhythm and quick pace; I was zooming by transferring commuters in the subway, making sure to be in the right car for the easiest stairway access, dodging people on the crowded NY sidewalks. Life in Vegas is so laid-back and so relaxed, and I must really appreciate it and embrace it before we head back to the East. Even the dogs in NY are different, I kid you not! Brooklyn is such a friendly pup and she is used to greeting every dog that passes by and the dog-owners here are also pretty friendly and will stop so that the canines can "communicate". However, in NY, the dogs are so blase and aloof, and while they allowed Brooklyn to approach and say hello, she was definitely the "new dog on the block", as the dogs stood there, almost humiliated to be subjected to the eager sniffings of a wide-eyed desert pup. So funny. And while I met NY dog owners who were very nice and interested in Brooklyn, there were also the NY owners who give you the slightest crack of a smile because they feel obligated to be polite, having been forced into a personal encounter by their four-legged friend, and then pull their dog away because ten seconds interruption in their busy day is about all they can stand. Hysterical!!

My Grandmother LOVED Brooklyn, and the trip was well worth it! She looks amazing, especially for a nonogenarian. I wouldn't have missed her birthday for the world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House