Gray Matter

I am at Walgreen's yesterday, picking up some odds and ends, and as I approach the counter, I am greeted by the cashier, who happens to be a young man, early 20's, give or take. As he is scanning my products, he says something to me that I just can't understand. He has a slight drawl to his speech, not exactly Southern, but perhaps that West Coast, LA twang. I ask him to repeat it and he clarifies by saying, with a smile on his face, "You must have a lot of wisdom with all those gray strings in your hair!" HUNH?!? And I think he was complimenting me, because he says this in all seriousness with a huge grin on his face, like he's proud of his "witticism". He must have been able to sense that I was taken aback, because he then proceeds to break it down for me, "You know, they say you are wise if you have gray hair." I just laugh in disbelief. Just what a 38-year old wants to hear. The best I come up with is, "Yes, I am very wise." Someone needs to sit that gentleman down. Or maybe it was his way of trying to make me feel better about my grays. I dunno, I am making an appointment with a colorist!

Comments

Aliscabob said…
I knew it was all downhill when I started getting "Ma'am"ed to death. I think that started when I was 12 years old.

Who said 40 was the new 30?

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House