Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

So, I followed up on my plan to rejuvenate my look by coloring my hair to get rid of the grays. My friend's sister is a hair stylist who happened to be visiting this weekend, so I made an appointment and the grays are now history. And I must admit that I feel so much better. And that kind of bothers me - why can't I just bask in guilty pleasure?!? I am only bothered because I really want to be the person who isn't obsessed with maintaining youth and who accepts the changes that come with growing older. But then I think back and remember my Mother putting a rinse in her hair, my Grandmother putting a rinse in her hair, my aunts, my Father, and I think, well how far does the apple fall from the tree? And I would never consider any of them self-absorbed or youth-obsessed. Ya just wanna look and feel good! I feel like I've joined a club, like I am truly embarking on the path taking me into my 40s! I guess the Walgreens incident affected me more than I realized. And you know, when I play it back in my head, I know the guy totally meant it as a compliment, back-handed perhaps. I think he was saying that I look younger than the gray hairs would imply, so it must be that I have a lot of wisdom, yadda yadda yadda. Okay I am done, black hair and all! Oh, and my husband said that he liked the grays, but he also thinks I look great with the color-job.

So the latest news on the horizon is that we have to move. By the end of next month. They are turning our complex into a hotel and so we now have to find a house. And house-hunting has made me realize a couple of things:

1) Carpets are BIG in the desert. Don't know why, but it is a furnishing staple, it seems. And I am trying to avoid it like the plague with my asthma. So that's the first challenge.
2) Gravel is considered landscaping. A backyard translates into anything from a patch of grass to a concrete slab. But less grass means lower water bill. So, what are you going to do? Artificial grass (they do have that out here, lawn-sized).
3) I am an East Coaster at heart!

I have to admire the first settlers who came out here, saw all this rock and dirt and mountain range, all the cacti and dry vegetation, and said, "Hey let's build a town and LIVE here!" I don't think that would have been my initial impulse. Yet, there IS a majestic beauty to the desert and its surrounding ranges. I think we just have more exploring to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House