They Tried To Make Me Go To Rehab...

This is the opening line of a song by an artist I've newly discovered - Amy Winehouse. She is a British singer, 23 years old, and has the voice of a 60's soul songstress. Her album has yet to release here. But thanks to one of my castmates, who bought her album during rehearsals in the UK, I've been graced with Amy's soulful and powerful pipes. The album I've been listening to is her sophomore album, "Back to Black"; her first album, "Frank", was released in 2003. Last week, I got in the car and I thought my friend was playing an obscure 60's girl group mix, and I was so happy. But then after two songs or so, I realized I had no idea who I was listening to and that is when I discovered, to my surprise, that the voice I was grooving to belonged to a young, contemporary, British woman. She sounds so retro and mature. Get her album when it drops in March, it is fun and hysterical - crazy lyrics, all the more crazy because it is paired with the benign sensibility of the girl group orchestrations. Below is the video for her single, "Rehab". Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House