Home Is Where The Subway Is


I miss NYC! I really do. I am enjoying the novelty of Vegas life, but there is a part of me that is just craving New York City. It isn't even so much a craving as a deep appreciation for my hometown, a warmth in the pit of my heart for the Big Apple. It's the cross-country distance that gives a new perspective from which to admire all that New York offers. For one thing, I miss being able to do the simplest things without having to make any preparations - grab a bite, get some stamps, pick up a book, and all on the way to work. There's no real planning in that - "What did you do today?" "Oh, I just went to work." "What's in the bag?" "Oh, some left-over Thai, some stamps, and the latest Haruki Murakami book." It's no biggie, there's no pomp and circumstance, you didn't write it down in your planner, it's all in a day's work in New York. Whereas here, and maybe it's exacerbated because I don't have a driver's mentality (or experience), you have to allot proper time to do the same things, get in the car, consider traffic and travel time, and whether it is near your ultimate destination, etc. And I thought I was going to have a conniption fit sitting in traffic tonight, which is constant, and I wasn't even driving! I LOVE riding in cars. Ever since I was a kid, I've always found car rides calming and exciting: window watching, day dreaming, napping (no wonder I don't drive). But there is definitely something to be said for the subway, even with all the construction and service interruptions. I'm used to being able to just get up and go, my Metrocard paving the way. Here, I can't be quite as independent or spontaneous. At least not yet. Guess I've got to get in that driver's seat. And learn how to PARK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House