The Year of the Cactus


I learned this weekend that it takes 75 whole years for a cactus to begin to bud an arm. Which means that the standard two-armed cactus image most of us picture when we think "cactus" (and we think "cactus" at least three times a day - or at least you do NOW, heh, heh) is one of an ANCIENT cactus, at least ancient in human years. The cactus pictured is 170 years old. I also learned that many cacti are becoming endangered because people steal them (?). You've got to be hard up to go and steal a cactus, an ancient cactus at that. How in the world do you get around the prickles? Seems like the scratches would be a dead give-away if you were ever caught. "Oh, I was just out wrastling with the neighbor's cat." "Uh, rough morning shaving...my back." Apparently, the ancient cacti command quite a price, and having a cactus in your yard is a status symbol. So, I now own a cactus, named Fred. He is only six inches tall, but with tender love and care, perhaps my great-grands can amass a fortune.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House