Good Will Hunting

So, I'm leaving my apartment to go to dinner the other day when I am greeted by an older gentleman walking the halls, wearing a suit and tie. Immediately my NY radar turns on, and I manage to remain cordial, but brief and alert, in responding to his questions: "How are you?" "Fine." "Are you new here?" "Mm-hmm." etc. Of course, it is exactly when he is right in front of my apartment that my top lock starts to stick and I can't get the key to lock it. He asks if I need help, I tell him no - immediately my mind is flushed with images of "missing women" flyers, and crime scenes, and I hear that generic, inner, adult voice that keeps you from doing stupid things, telling me that I don't know this man, don't let him get too close to me. Somehow, in my momentary panic, I manage to get the door to lock. Which is a good thing, because then the gentleman, who I see from his jacket is a security guard, whispers to ask, like he's my BFF in homeroom, "Did you hear about apartment 118?" I tell him no, already drawn in by the prospect of some juicy gossip, even if it is about someone I don't even know. The security guard then tells me that apartment 118 was broken into by a woman on my floor and her crew of guy friends. OH GREAT!! This is EXACTLY why I moved from NY to Las Vegas. However, the bright side is that the building just threw this woman out the day after I moved in. Hopefully, that's all nipped in the bud. Anyway, the guard continues his rounds, in my direction, rides the elevator with me, tells me his name is Will -"They call me Chilly Willy" (does he know that Chilly Willy is a penguin?)- and we part ways on the ground floor. Now, here's the thing about Sir Will - he is everywhere. He's like Gazoo on The Flintstones, he just pops up, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, seeing as he is security. For instance, ten minutes after our first meeting, he incredibly appeared out of nowhere, getting out of the very same elevator I was entering in a different building in the complex, a good distance from my own building. It was weird. The next evening, I was entering my apartment when who should be yelling "Hello" from across the balcony on the floor below, but good ol' Chilly Willy. I leave my apartment about five minutes later to retrieve my computer from my company manager, and who do you think randomly gets on my elevator on the second floor, but...that's right, Chilly Willy. Actually not so randomly, I think - he was agitated and wanted to let me know that the thieving friends of the evicted woman were moving her things out of her apartment. He told me to not answer my door should anyone knock (which nobody did). I assured him I'd be cautious. Looks like I've got a 'guard'ian angel watching my back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Culture

Brooklyn In Da House